|Assistance by Jess.|
This morning while Jess slept I got the last of the ironing for the rows done, and as soon as she was up I pulled out the sewing machine for some rapid fire assembly. I also learned very quickly that I really need to do the pinning on the floor, because otherwise it all gets buggered up. Oh well.
I also decided that in the future I will be trying to press my seams open if I'm using good fabric; unfortunately there are so many seams in some places I'm afraid this quilt is going to go before its time. Hopefully the quilting will help it out, but overall I'm pretty proud of it for my first try in triangles and complicated assembly.
It's not perfect by any means, but I think it is texturally interesting enough to work as a quilt. Something I didn't notice until Jess pointed it out--most of the stripey squares alternate, which is a pretty cool effect I wasn't thinking of when I assembled the rows. Ah well, I'll keep it in mind for next time. There's a lot of flaws, as always, but I think I may try to sell this one at a Farmer's Market they have on campus depending on how the quilting goes.
Next up are the big border pieces (more cutting, YAY! I get to use my new rulers!), and once those are assembled it will be time to assemble the border strips and sew them on. I am hoping to get some quilting done this weekend (I'm going to free-motion this bad boy... wish me luck!), but we will see.
Post a Comment